4L60E Shift Solenoid Access

I have a 94 K1500 with a 4L60E automatic transmission with 145k+ miles on it. Lately, it has been getting into a mode where it will start-out in 2nd gear, and only upshift to 3rd if I manually shift it, and never
upshifts to 4th/OD. Checking the diagnostic code gives me an 81, which implies a 2-3 shift solenoid failure, or a wiring failure. My main question is whether I can replace the 2-3 shift solenoid (and the 1-2 solenoid while I'm at it) while the tranny is still mounted to the motor (in the truck), or does the transmission need to be removed. Is there easy access. I can't tell form my service manual, and crawling under the truck hasn't enlightened me yet either.
These solenoids are easy access on these trucks, pull the pan down and you will see the solenoid pack.

-

Don't believe Shep - he's setting you up for a good laugh... 'cause he's that kind of guy. Take it from me - drain the tranny pan before pulling it down. You really have to watch guys like Shep...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-

Speaking of which - one of the many things that impresses me with my wife's Hyundai is that it has a real drain plug for the tranny. After all of these years, someone finally decided that the brain dead idea of dropping a pan corner was not necessarily the most brilliant of designs...