4L60E Shift Solenoid Access

I have a 94 K1500 with a 4L60E automatic transmission with 145k+ miles on it. Lately, it has been getting into a mode where it will start-out in 2nd gear, and only upshift to 3rd if I manually shift it, and never upshifts to 4th/OD. Checking the diagnostic code gives me an 81, which implies a 2-3 shift solenoid failure, or a wiring failure. My main question is whether I can replace the 2-3 shift solenoid (and the 1-2 solenoid while I'm at it) while the tranny is still mounted to the motor (in the truck), or does the transmission need to be removed. Is there easy access. I can't tell form my service manual, and crawling under the truck hasn't enlightened me yet either.

Reply to
cranetb

Shep

Don't believe Shep - he's setting you up for a good laugh... 'cause he's that kind of guy. Take it from me - drain the tranny pan before pulling it down. You really have to watch guys like Shep...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Shep

Speaking of which - one of the many things that impresses me with my wife's Hyundai is that it has a real drain plug for the tranny. After all of these years, someone finally decided that the brain dead idea of dropping a pan corner was not necessarily the most brilliant of designs...

Reply to
Mike Marlow