4L80-E draining fluid overnight

I'm stumped. I can't find the leak. I replaced the gasket...re-sealed the wiring harness connector. No fluid visible on the pan or around it.

The fluid is draining from the top and dripping onto the rear tranny support cross member, then drains down the crossmember to a hole and onto the street.

I ran the truck for about an hour and climbed under it...no signs of any leakage. Half hour later, still no signs of leakage. Thought I had it fixed.

Went out this morning and found a puddle under the truck. It is dripping pretty steadily now.

This is a 92 K2500 with 454 (7.4L) extended cab, long bed with 187,000 miles on the truck and 110,000 miles on the tranny. No slippage or any other reason to replace the tranny. I'm about to drive it into the dessert, strip the VIN and leave it for dead...but I wuv my truck.

Do these things have drain back valves? I can't find one.

Any help?

Nate

Reply to
Nate

Sorry guys. One minor detail was overlooked on my part...sometimes new parts CAN be bad right out of the box. The new pan seal was leaking. Gawd I feel stupid. Got a new pan gasket from the dealer (Freakin expensive seal I might add) that has the crush collars. Will install this weekend after all the tranny fluid leaks out to below the pan level so it won't be such a messy job...LOL

The seal has started to disintegrate in many spots. It looked fine the other night after a cruise. But it apparently failed in the rear, right above the motor mount (should it be called a tranny mount?) where it is hard to see. I assumed, since it was a new seal, the leak was coming from above. I always look like an mule (PC cleanup tool) when I assume. The oil then dripped off a lip of the seal, preventing it from getting the pan itself wet. Last night there were six spots where I can see the seal has broken...mostly near a bolt hole...and beginning to squeeze outward. 8 dollar gasket from NAPA (comes with a filter)...money thrown into the wind. I could take it back and bitch...but I think I'll just get on with my life. NAPA doesn't have a history of supplying bad parts so I won't blame them.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Nate

Reply to
Nate

Bummer, these type of things can drive a person nuts....... Don't feel stupid, it happens to the best of us!

Reply to
noyap

It's ok. At least it's not as bad as doing a tune up and spending 4 hours troubleshooting a no spark condition, and then finding the brand new rotor, in the box, during clean up. One of my shining moments. And I was 24!!!

Reply to
eightupman

I have a buddy that did that one time...do you live in Kentucky?

I still won't let him live that one down.

Nate

gasket...re-sealed

Reply to
Nate

Private "I/me/he/she/it (obviously lacking in the common sense department--EightupMAN!!)"

How are your "shinning moments" during your present life? You apparently are not the expert you purport. Have you ever changed your muffler bearings? Are you still 24?

snip

Reply to
non_cusser

Empty vessels make the loudest noise........

Reply to
dogdayyesterday

Private I am not Kenneth try again. I do not believe I was posting to you. I was speaking to someone other than you...you know the OTHERS here on the post that don't like hearing from you? Get a life..you bore me. Muffler bearings along with headlight fluid. Also changed a turbo intabulator, and a reciprocating dinglearm. Never "purported" to be an expert..just someone with experience (of which I can tell you have had none but bad ones) I have yet to see you post an intelligent automotive topic...so please do not post anymore. I hate seing you show your ass time and time again.

Reply to
eightupman

Why BOY do you persist with your demented dingleberry postings.

You are still 24 and have "One of my shining moments" as a motor pool mechanic? With your self admittance of forgetfulness don't volunteer to work on any military vehicle. I would not want to hear or read a news article about your screwed up adventures at taxpayers expense.

I do not need to post when I see laughter in your posts citing inexperience. "Never "purported" to be an expert..just someone with experience (of which I can tell you have had none but bad ones)". You finally got a life and admitted to incompetence! You do not know my experience except for the stupidity of contending with your ignorance!

All you can do is make kinky sexual innuendos and reference to your big infatuated mouth.

You are hedging to answer one key question. When will you earn your keep and quit being overpaid and under worked?

Reply to
non_cusser

"You do not know my experience" nor you to mine. Love how you think you got it all figured out. Pipe it.

Yawn....zzzzzzzzz

inexperience.

Reply to
eightupman