5.7 vs. 5.0 liter engine??

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> I am looking at 1997-2000 vans and notice that the 5.7 liter and 5.0 liter
My 1999 5.7L has been nothing but trouble. 6 trips to the dealer to fix the fuel injectors, and a valve job on both heads, all under 38,0000 miles. My local GMC dealer also said they are experiencing a much higher than normal rate of mechanical issues with late model 5.7 engines (up to year 2000). Based on my experience, I have to recommend staying away from the 5.7 engine. Manufacturers obviously knew these were going away and just did a crappy job putting them together in the last few years of their mass production existence.
Bill wrote:

My 1999 K1500 has 59,000 miles on it and has never been had any issues. I change the oil and filter at 3,000 to 4,000 miles and have just changed the cap and rotor as it was idling a little rough. The plugs are still original and the motor has never been apart. I get around 15 mpg in town and 19 mpg on the highway.
Brian
am looking at 1997-2000 vans and notice that the 5.7 liter and 5.0 liter engines have the same VIN code.&nbsp; What is the difference between the engines other than displacement, particularly reliabilty and durability? <P>Thanks <P>Bill </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=