57 Plymouth to be unearthed from 50 year Time Capsule

Page 1 of 4
http://www.buriedcar.com/

I know it has been a long time since Plymouth closed it doors, but Plymouth was made by Chrysler, not Ford, GM or Pontiac.
You have some wrong newsgroups.
Jeff

But since most of us are general car buffs, we appreciate the fact that he did.

I think these are all automotive newsgroups, although it has been buried for 50 years the Plymouth is still an Auto.

Plus, the '57/'58 Fury's are probably some of the best looking cars ever made. Sure as hell a lot more attractive than a 57/58 Ford or Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, etc.. In my opinion anyway. Christine from the Stephen King novel/film was a '57 or '58 Fury. The design concepts for these cars was the 'forward look'. It'll be interesting to see if the car still looks brand new. Hopefully, they'll start it up and drive it a bit.
-

Not just you, Grapple. Some of those cars looked good. And properly kitted out, they ran like a scalded ape.
That was why I bought one, it was one outstanding looking, gutsy, car. A year later it was a rusting rattle trap so I dumped it. Unfortunately I bought a '58 Chevy 2 DR HT and it too was a rust bucket. ;)
mike

Was there anything made in the '50s & '60s that was not a rust bucket? Remember the Rusty Jones franchises that started about the 1970's or so?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Hello Rusty Jones, goodbye rusty car!"
GW

I dont know about better looking than a 57 Ford or Chevy its a matter of opinion but definately better looking than a 2007 Toyota Ford or Chevy family car or any other family car made in 2007.
<...>

That, too, is a matter of opinion.
I think the newer cars are better looking.
But them again, I thought the Pontiac Aztec is way cool, and I own a Ford Contour.
More importantly, the new cars do their job way better than the older ones, IMHO.
Jeff
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:57:33 +0000, Jeff got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Just wait until Microsoft gets involved in cars...
..then we'll need to pay for a new car every two years, which will have the same functionality as the last one but won't be able to use the same fuel.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
<snip>

<snip>
You will also have to do a complete shutdown, and restart every two hours! The monthly trip to the dealers to fix a dozen faults that should have been designed out in the first place, would be a pain too!
Steve R.

yeah, fuel injection and its related drivability improvements are nice, but on those old cars, you could fix them with a few wrenches and bailing wire.
-
message

IMHO you're batting 50% there...

I don't know about that, really... I personally am rather disappointed in the *lack* of meaningful improvements in vehicles over the last few decades. We've added lots of gadgets, but some of the older vehicles are still more fun to drive and just as functional.
Sadly, we'll probably never again see some of the light, nimble, cheap sporty cars that were popular from the 60s through the 80s because of Federally-mandated safety equipment. The closest thing we have now would be a Mini Cooper S or maybe a Mazda Miata; both still weigh in at around 2500 lbs, compare and contrast with an original VW Scirocco, 1700-2000 lbs. depending on year, or the Triumph TR-6 to which the Miata was the spiritual successor, 2200 lbs. with a big straight six engine as opposed to the Miata's little four-cylinder. Or if you want to get real silly, the original Mini at its porkiest never got much above 1600 lbs...
Hell, the Shelby 289 Cobra weighed about 2100-2200 lbs. Today it'd probably be two tons with all the mandated equipment.
This is progress?
nate

So would arguing that I am batting 0%.

Let's see: better handling, air bags (and I don't mean my wife), CD players and iPod connections, air conditioning, better transmissions (in my opinion, that means smoother-shifting standards, others would say that CVT is a great inprovement), electric motors, sun roofs, anti-lock brakes, intermittant wipers, doors that open by themselves in vans, and run-flat tires. And the engines and cars are more reliable.

I think the VW GTi is one and it is still out there.
On the other hand, you can get a VW td and or hybrid and get like 40+ mpg. And in the tdi, the glow plugs start the engine in less 30 sec.

Considering all the improvements, including better brakes, the improved ability to survive crashes, anti-lock brakes and decreased polution, I would say so.
Jeff

I suppose we could all drive King Midgets with their 8HP Wisconsin single cylinder engines. Or Biscuters.
Less stuff to go wrong!
-

IMHO the Contour was a very underrated car, and I'm still shaking my head that Ford let it die while continuing on with that POS Taurus.

mostly due to tires.

extraneous stuff I could do without

available since the '50s

Hmm, my "old" T-10 with a Hurst shifter shifts as well as any new car i've driven

more extraneous stuff I could do without

I disagree! My old cars have been quite reliable; I'm sure that a new car might have incrementally longer times between repairs but would undoubtedly be significantly more expensive to fix and/or jobs that I'd do myself on an older car would have to be jobbed out to a mechanic.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about. The original GTI was a light, nimble, economical "hot hatch" that was a blast to drive. The *new* GTI weighs more than some midsized cars of the 60's. Or to put it another way, an original GTI probably weighs about 2/3 what the new GTI does. I've owned A1, A2, and A4 chassis GTI's, of all of them I think I'd rather have the A1 back than either of the others. The A4 comes a close second, but I wouldn't consider it a sporty car at all - more like a small luxury car that happened to be fast.

I'd *love* to have one of those TDI engines in an older VW body! I bet it'd be a hoot.

better brakes are good, but I really could care less about the "improved ability to survive crashes" - first of all, it's irrelevant to my life, and secondly, cars have been pretty good in that respect for decades. The latest round of "improvements" only incrementally improves the survivability at the cost of dramatically increased complexity and weight. Anti-lock brakes? IMHO they are a gimmick; some systems are very good, some are crap, in all cases they are completely unused by motorists 99% of the time, if the driver is any good. Decreased pollution, I'm all in favor of that, but that could have been accomplished without tacking on all the other stuff I'm complaining about.
Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a retro-grouch. So be it :)
nate
Same reason when I bou ght my new car I did not consider

I was a little interested in the 500, but found out it was essentially an upper market abortion of what Ford did with Volvo.
I liked Volvos okay, but Ford could screw up anything.
Wife and I have finally made up our minds. We will buy an Avalon, and hope GM comes back from the ashes.

Nice car. I know one Lexus owner that prefers his wife's Avalon.