57 Plymouth to be unearthed from 50 year Time Capsule

Page 3 of 4
Video on the 57 Plymouth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2cPBl6scJk

wrote in message

N8N wrote:

Ford Falcons of the early '60s had vacuum wipers, and American Motors used them through the late sixties.
The later fifties was a great era for gaudy automobile design. Chrysler took it a step further with their land yachts that had such quirky features as big tail fins, a rear view mirror that stuck up from the dashboard, an odd shaped steering wheel, and push-button transmission controls. The 57 Plymouth gave a preview of the dual headlight look with the parking light next to the headlight. It resembled a face with a black eye.

Still gotta love the Lincoln Futura. Awesome looking car. Too bad it never went into production.

It became the Batmobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-

True.

The best car I ever had was my 69 Firebird 400. It was quieter on the road then my 99GT, driving position and seat was better, interior was nicer looking, and steering was actually quicker and more precise feeling. Handling was worst though. Mileage in normal driving was not great but I got about 15 mpg on a fast trip and once got 21 mpg doing a steady 55 mph from phx to LA during the 72 oil crisis. The 99gt is technically a better car and I really like it but it will never replace the 69 when all categories of "why I like a car" are added up. And the 69 was still on it's original, unturned front disks at 125,000 miles. And they were SHOT.

Nope. In practical terms, my 1960 corvair did everything my current vehicles do except it didn't have AC. Yeah, it was gutless. But it was pleasant to drive from Phx to LA.

I dont know about better looking than a 57 Ford or Chevy its a matter of opinion but definately better looking than a 2007 Toyota Ford or Chevy family car or any other family car made in 2007.
This is still remarkable in it's own right.... This is an article about a little piece of automotive history... long before we started seeing cars that look like a half used bar of soap.
Aside from the cross posting, I'm all for little notes like this...

is this an advertisement for Tulsa OK or a cool story about a car? because I went to the site and I'm not seeing nearly enough info about the car.

I think its a cool public announcement on the exciting festivities to happen when they unearth the car in June after being buried for 50 years.

If it is anything like the beautiful '57 red 2D HT I owed, they will not find much except a pile of rust LOL
mike

and just what exactly does this have to do with a site called alt autos FORD????

More than your useless cross post. Most of us have owned autos from many of the manufacturers and are car buffs that enjoy the older models. It was of interest to many given the number of positive replies.

of
of
The cross posting is unfortunate, but I, for one, enjoy this sort of information, no matter what the name of the newsgroup
As previously mentioned, most of us are car buffs, not just Ford, or GM, or Chrysler cheerleaders.\
Will probably be a pile of rust when they lift the lid.

you can say that again. most of the 57 plymouths fell apart from rust while still on the dealers lot.

I think it will be intact cuz I think its in an airtight vault.

I bet they weren't wrapped in that foam stuff I saw around the car. I'm sure the vehicle won't be drivable or even startable without / major/ restoration work, but I'd say it's at least a 50/50 chance the body is in good to great shape.
The real question is, why did they put a case of beer in the trunk? That's going to be undrinkable now.
O no!! "Christine" back again!!! Playing those old Do Wop music on her radio!!!