79 GM Air Conditioning

Hello everyone I have a 79 Monte that has a AC compressor that is locked up. Im not new to cars but i havent done AC before. I want to
put a used compressor on and replace the orifice tube and replace some 0-rings in the fittings Can the old dryer\accumulator be used again. Should i blow out the condensor incase there is junk in there and how should i clean this. I have never recharged one before so i may have some one do this for me on less it isnt that hard. I have added freon to ac's but not much expierience at that. Can someone give me tips on this and talk me through it. Thanks in advance
First of all the 1979 GM cars used R12 Freon and that's no longer available. You can upgrade (upgrade??) to R134a but I would recommend that you replace the drier. While the system is open you could blow the condenser out with some low air pressure if you want to. Disconnect the hoses at the condenser first.
Brian

How much R-12 would you like? I have over 120 pounds on hand and can buy more anytime I want. You DO have to get certified to buy it but that takes about 20 minutes online and a weeks wait for your card. Current pricing runs about 34.00 a pound. As for cleaning the system, disconnect ALL fittings while you have it apart and flush them with alcohol, then blow them out with clean, DRY air, I would replace the drier, compressor, and orifice tube and ALL o-rings. Then pull a vacuum on it and let it set with the vacuum in it as long as you can to make sure it doesn't leak down. Then recharge it. You could do all the hard work as far as the cleaning and repairs and then once the system is closed back up take it to a shop to have them pull the vacuum and recharge it as well.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY

In case that you live close to Mexico, it is posible to buy it in small cans, I have seen Dupont Freon 12 for about US $8 a can in Autozone stores (located in Mexico).
Elias Rocha

What is the 94? There are a lot of 94 GMs with R-12 in them. Most of the trucks for one. The small cans are still available also you just need to have a certificate to get it. That tag is not hard to get. http://www.epatest.com/ Will do the job. You need section 609 for vehicles. Will cost you 20 bucks and is open book to boot. Not hard at all. I took mine through a local outfit but this looks like the same test.
--
Steve Williams

"NoSpam" < snipped-for-privacy@spam.not> wrote in message
The 94 is a Chevy Z34, uses R134a.
Brian

Just had to ask.. The wifes S series is CFC-12. I know of a few people who complain when they get a bill for R-12 and start complaining that the vehicle was a 94 and "they know" it should take 134A. Makes me wonder why I ever decided to work under the hood sometimes......
--
Steve Williams

"NoSpam" < snipped-for-privacy@spam.not> wrote in message
There has been a failure to mention the hoses. Barrier or non-Barrier. If R-134 to be used, the hoses should be replaced with Barrier type and non R12 o-rings.

The O-Rings should be changed BUT the hoses don't need to be unless one is damaged. The oil used in the R-12 systems soaks into the hoses and provides a barrier itself. Even flushing doesn't clean the system to the point where the barrier is gone. http://www.delanet.com/~pparish/hose.htm just one site with info. (also a good site for a LOT of info on AC)
http://www.delanet.com/~pparish/index.htm
--
Steve Williams

"charge" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamricerocket.com> wrote in message

Hi,
Last summer I bought two cans of FREEZE 12 from a guy on Ebay, cost me $35 I think. It came with oil, adapter for the fitting, hose, everything I needed to put the stuff in, and the only way I can describe it is to say its friggin cold air. It worked all year and I didn't have to change any seals or such. You may want this instead of R 134.
If you are inexperienced, Don't do anything!
Since there is safety issues handling Freon R-12, take the car to a qualified technician.