'83 Grand Prix: Replacing wiper stalk help

I've traced my wiper issue to the wiper stalk on my '83 Grand Prix. I've got the service manual for the car, but can't figure out how to replace the stalk. I have an operational stalk on a steering column
that is not in the car that I am trying to remove before removing the faulty stalk on the car.
I've got the steering wheel off, the lockplate off, the tumbler out, the wires for the stalk out of the column, etc.
I can't figure out how to get the stalk out w/out having to break the column part that holds it. Does the stalk itself come apart or something? All I see are rivets holding the part together.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Craig
Ok, I think I made some progress and might be able to fix it.
For anyone with the same issue: Basically, I couldn't figure it out and just pulled outward on the stalk itself. To my surprise, it came out. I think my actual problem is with the part the stalk plugs in to, so I have more work ahead of me, but at least the stalk is out and I can maybe get the other part out now.
Craig
Craig, I'm about to tackle a similiar problem on my 82 GMC. I got as far as removing the steering wheel. What was the trick in getting the lockplate off and the tumbler out? Thanx, Wellsie