84 Caprice heater/defrost problem

Currently the airflow is coming out of my defrost vents. When I move the slider to heater or vent the air continues to come out of the defrost vents. Does anyone have an idea on how to rectify the problem?

Of note... I did remove the air conditioning from the car. I disconnected the silver canister connected to the black box on the firewall via two metal hose connectors. I didn't seal those connections after removing the canister. Could that be the problem? I am not sure if I had the defrost/heater/vent problem immediately after removing the air conditioning canister.

Reply to
Avro

My guess is that you have a vacuum hose loose or disconnected, probably something you did accidentally in the process of removing the AC.

I'm curious, why did you go to all the trouble to actually remove the condensor tank?

Willy

Reply to
Willy

I had the motor stripped right down replacing all the gaskets along with a new fuel and cooling system. I was right in the thick of it so it really didn't seem like much to remove it.

I have been checking all the vacuum hoses and haven't been able to track anything down, perhaps I have to plug the two lines that the tank was hooked to.

Reply to
Avro

I had a similar problem on a GM product years ago, and mine was solved when I discovered a disconnected vacuum hose.

My guess is that you have this problem as well... and it could be that the two lines will fix it.

Otherwise, I'm unable to offer you any better advice - a lot has changed since 1984.

Good luck,

Willy

Reply to
Willy