86 Pontiac

I was wondering I have got an 86 pontiac 6000 with 106k miles on it and it has a 2.5 engine, it kinda sounds like a sewing machine when its running, like clattering, is this normal for this engine, and if so is this engine a
good one to have?
Thanks adam frazier snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com
Typical timing gear noises, with plastic cam gear.

A Frazier wrote:

Yeah, in those years, that particular engine used camshaft/crankshaft gears instead of a chain and sprockets. The camshaft gear was a fibre gear and as it wore, the engine would begin to rattle like a diesel engine. The fix is to replace the cam and crank gears. It won't hurt the engine to run it like this....just one day, the teeth on the cam gear will strip off and the engine will quit. It's not an interference engine, so you don't have to worry about other damage.
It wasn't a great engine, but it wasn't that bad.
Ian
So that explains it.. I keep thinking when I hear one of those things driving around, that it's a rod knock or something and the engine is about to blow up :-)
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada