87 Buick 3.8 engine dies and manifold is red-hot

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this problem? I have an 87 Buick Park Avenue, and ever since i got the car i have had lots of problems with it, the engine keeps dying right after i start it up. These are the things we have already replaced: mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, full tune-up has been done. When it dies, the manifold gets red-hot. It has been suggested that perhaps the timing is off but there is no way to adjust it, and i have no distributor or MAP sensor. It is fuel injected, and automatic transmission.

Any suggestions besides the usual?

Thanks

Chad & Karen Michigan

Reply to
dysmatrx

87 Buick Park Avenue, and ever since i got the car i have had lots of problems with it, the engine keeps dying right after i start it up. These are the things we have already replaced: mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, oxygen sensor, catalytic converter, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, full tune-up has been done. When it dies, the manifold gets red-hot.

to adjust it, and i have no distributor or MAP sensor. It is fuel injected, and automatic transmission.

Reply to
Tj

I'm guessing a clogged converter. Here's a test, with the engine idling, put your hand near the tailpipe. Feel the exhaust, a healthy converter flows as pulses, a clogged converter flows as a steady stream of warm air. You could have a faulty heat " flapper " riser valve that's stuck in the heat manifold position.

Reply to
451 CTDS

I have already replaced the catalytic converter, actually it is hollow. It was the first thing we fixed, it was glowing red hot then not the manifold.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Chad & Karen

Reply to
dysmatrx

In that case, to me anyway, it sounds like an issue of excess fuel making its way down the manifold and burning. Timing could be off, as the 3.8 is known for bad gears. Or another problem such as a fuel delivery problem, or ignition problem.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.