'87 Buick LeSabre transmission problem (?)

Shortly after leaving home in my '87 Buick Le Sabre, it shiftly fine into first gear, but when shifting into second, seemed to suddenly go into neutral. I had to ride in first gear at 15 MPH to get it anywhere. When back at home, fluid was checked; level was OK and fluid did not smell burned. The trans. fluid and filter were changed one year and 8,000 miles ago, but we decided to change everything again. There was quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnet in the pan, and the filter looked very dirty. After the change, we took the car for a test drive. It seemed to do quite well until we had driven long enough to warm it up, then the same thing happened again with second gear. It almost seems to be a temperature issue. The car has approx. 118,000 miles. Is the entire transmission shot, or could it be an individual part or problem we have overlooked? We replaced the vaccum modulator and the vaccum lines were checked out before the test drive.

Reply to
metlfan2003

At 19 years old I'd say its closer to the end than the beginning. There are all kinds of gears and clutches that wear out and cause the problems you are experiencing.

Time to have a qualified tech look at it.

Rebuilding it is between $1600 & $2000

good luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 41,414 91 Bonneville 306,670
Reply to
Harry Face

I agree with Harry. Dont know if this is the 440T4, or what, but when you see 'mud' in the pan and filings, the end is not so far away.

The mud usually comes from the clutch pack friction material.

If you have a sticking valve body, that can also do wierd and wonderful things, but this on is getting 'long in the tooth'.

Reply to
<HLS