87 buick regal cruise mystery

I just bought this vehicle and it's driving me nuts... The signal switch has the cruise control button. There's a cruise control servo mounted on the driver's side wheel well all hooked up and ready to go.
However, it doesn't work. I went to the fuse block, and the cruise is suppose to be the #1 fuse. However, it's blank. There aren't even the clips in the block for the fuse to slide into to. This car was owned by a friend of mine's mother. She died, so he doesn't have any idea if the cruise ever worked.
Can someone tell me what I'm dealing with here? Doesn't make sense to me.

Could it be that the car didn't originally come with cruise control, and she was in the middle of putting it in or having it installed? It seems odd to me that there would be a blank spot for the cruise control fuse. Which engine is in your Regal?
When I owned a 1989 Chevy Caprice, the problem was the Multi-function lever. I replaced the lever with levers from the junk yard and some of them would work. I bought a new multi-function lever on ebay and had no more problems. I would not try running the new wiring "inside" the steering column because on that car everything was packed tight in the column and the string broke.
snipped-for-privacy@med.va.gov wrote:

Hey George, don't think you are dreaming. GM must've had some servos and short speedo chains left over, because they used servos with 2 chains to reach the speedo from the tranny. The servo did nothing but serve as a coupling for the 2 chains. The REAL cruise was an electronic unit that picked up speed via a pulse generator rather than thru the servo. Quite mind boggling to someone facing it for the 1st time. Just imagine the poor soul who had a servo to freeze & break a short chain or 2. He then bypassed the servo with one long chain just so the speedo would work. And by golly, the cruise still worked!!! Happened to me--hope that means it happens to the best of "us". Luck to you. s