'88 2.8 starting problem

'88 Cavalier Z-24 with 2.8 multiport has difficulty starting hot or cold. Instead of it cranking for one second or less and firing right off like it normally does, I have to crank it for 5-10 seconds and it will
start, and I think only then because I end up depressing the accelerator some. Occasionally it starts right up. When it does start it runs perfectly normal. No check engine light nor history codes. Thinking it might be the anti-drainback valve in the fuel pump allowing the fuel to drain away when shut off, I tried to turn the key to the on position _several times_ before attempting to start, and the pump only runs for a couple of seconds and quits, and then not at all the next two times, which suggests to me it is coming up to pressure and staying there. I have not had a chance to test the actual fuel pressure, but for the reason mentioned above I doubt that lack of fuel pressure is the culprit. I posted about this a few days ago and only heard crickets chirping ;-)
Do some actual testing not theorizing . Check plugs wires and plugs also cam and crank sensor.
Ray

Raynaud wrote, "Do some actual testing not theorizing . Check plugs wires and plugs also cam and crank sensor." *************************************** I replaced the heads about 10K miles ago, installed new plugs and wires at that time, but I might add I wouldn't expect worn out plugs or wires to produce the symptoms I've described, plus I don't think this engine even has a cam sensor. The engine performs fine in all rpm ranges and under load and gets almost 30 mpg. I expected someone out there to have had a similar situation since these engines are so common. I have a donor car to rob parts from to test for various sensors malfuncting (although I get no codes) but thought someone could point me to a couple of things to try first. TIA
Raynaud wrote, "Do some actual testing not theorizing . Check plugs wires and plugs also cam and crank sensor." *********************************************** The surprising rudeness of your post is overshadowed by how ignorant it sounds. What a complete waste of time to check plugs and wires on something which runs strong, and like the OP said, this engine doesn't even HAVE a cam sensor--why don't you tell him to check the turbo waste gate while you're at it. Do yourself and the rest of the world a favour and stop posting your "advice." I'm reminded of the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." But in your case, it would be, "If you can't say anything intellegent..."