88 Lesabre - Code 41

I have a 1988 Buick Lesabre (143,000 mi.) that has been intermittently hard starting and/or rough idling (sometimes stalls but will restart).
A local garage pulled the trouble code 41 (camshaft sensor). The
camshaft sensor was replaced, but the Service Engine Soon light remained on. The light comes on immediately upon the vehicle starting every time, even after the sensor was replaced last month.
I jumped the ALDL connectors this evening and still got a code 41.
I'm hoping the magnet does not need replacement (which I've read from similar Lesabre topics).
Does the magnet affect starting / idle of the vehicle? What else could I do to remedy the situation?
the answer is yes what probably has happened is the magnet on the cam has fallen off and the engine will have to be tor down to get to the timing chain and its best to replace the whole set gears and chain. this affects starting because the pcm uses the cam for injector firing and with the magnet is gone the sensor dosen't read a cam sig. and defaults to a preset fuel srategy. replace timing set and the car will run right and your dtc will be gone.
duckman66 wrote:

Mine needed the timing chain replaced, plus the cogs and gears, plus tensioner. Seems some divot-head penny pincher built everything out of teflon and aluminum. The cogs were worn down to nubs and the thing was a "few" teeth out.
"Joseph Oberlander" wrote

It wasn't so much penny pinching....but noise reduction. Still...it was a bad idea.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

Everything was replaced with good old fashioned steel. :) Yeah, it's a tad noisier, but so be it - it's a CAR and not a yuppie cacooon like a Lexus.
Anyone know if a 91 Caddy Deville with a 4.9L has steel or nylon timing gears? GW
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

I've kept the larger diameter timing gear with the nylon teeth worn down & sheared off on one side Its from my 78 Olds & its hanging on a nail over the door in the store room downstairs. Used a metal #s stamp to stamp the date it died & what the mileage was at the time. Souveniers !
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,504 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Harry Face wrote:

Neat :) Can't wait to do the same :)