88 Lesabre Steering Column. ALMOST THERE..............

Alrighty then. Column is out and disassembled almost all the way to get to the 4 screws/bolts that have (and apparently, routinely) backed out. The problem is the main housing...the portion that encloses the general area of the shifter, tilt, and key/lock cylinder area. Apparently on some vehicles there is only a little abracadabra and this housing comes off/apart. NOT MINE! It appears that mine is two-piece, a left half and a right half as you sit in the seat. They are put on from each side and then where they mate at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions there is this big slug of metal that effectively joins and locks the 2 halves together. It looks similar to a large/long wheel balancing weight and has small pins/sleeves in one half that (Iguess) press into the other half. And then I guess they put a spell on it or something 'cause i'll be damned if i can get it apart. Anyone have experience with this design? This is all that's holding me back. Already burned up/broken 3 drill bits...the good cobalt kind from Sears designed to cut hard metal. HELP!

kevin

Reply to
FunkyKev

I've never liked doing anything halfway. Even 3/4 way (tightening 3 out of 4) is not a whole lot better. But, I've seen several otherwise 'good' mechanics tighten only the 3 bolts you can get to w/out disassembly. Seemed to work well & stay tight for the duration of my association with the cars involved. Took very little time. Still didn't say I liked the idea! s

Reply to
sdlomi2