89 buick 2.8 ltr fi

My 89 Buick will only run if I continually pump the gas pedal. If I stop it stops. I have changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump seems to be working because if I turn the key when the fuel line going into the filter is disconnected it does come out of the line. Spark also seems good on all plugs.

thanks for any ideas

Reply to
jim

Unhooking the fuel line and letting fuel come out doesnt prove that it can produce the amount of fuel pressure that engine requires to run, my suggestion, replace the fuel pump.

Reply to
zerozero

That is odd. I have a '91 Grand Prix with a 3.1L and when she was 99.9% out of gas, the only way I could keep it running was to pump the gas pedal.

Reply to
80 Knight

jim wrote in alt.autos.gm

On a fuel injected car, gas should do more than just come out of the line. Pressure should be about 40 psi, so it should squirt like hell.

Reply to
Dick C

There is a test valve on the fuel rail for the injectors. You need to have between 40 to 80 PSI at point.

Your problem could be anything from clogged fuel injectors, bad injectors, no injector pulse, a bad coil module, a bad fuel pressure regulator, or even a bad ECM.

First have the fuel pressure tested at the fuel rail. Then have one of the injector connectors pulled and checked for pulse. On the style 2.8 V6 you have, 1 or 2 injector harness connectors can be accessed with out removing the upper intake. If you have pulse, then the coild module is most likely working correctly.

From there you need to have your ECM read with a scan tool, not just flashing the codes. A scan tool can view the readings the ECM is getting, not just point to a circuit that has an issue. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig