89 Buick Park Avenue Starting Problem

Threaded View
Well here is the vehicle... its a 89' Buick Park Ave. with a 3.8 L.  it has
alittle over 186K and runs excellent.  I am so suprised with this car...but
there is one problem.

When I try starting the car-when i turn it over...it will just crank and crank
and not start..but as soon as i turn the key to the off position and start it
again...it starts.  Although sometimes it will need to take up to 3 times to
crank over before it will start.

I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel regulator, cam sensor, and as we speak...a
new fuel pump.  Is there anyother thing that could be the problem...I am alittle
mechanically inclined and a little familar with this car (i just bought it a
week ago).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chad

Re: 89 Buick Park Avenue Starting Problem

 > it has alittle over 186K and runs excellent.  I am so suprised with
 >  this car...but there is one problem.
 >and crank and not start..but as soon as i turn the key to the off position
 > and start it again...it starts.  Although sometimes it will need to
 > take up to 3 times to crank over before it will start.
 > we speak...a new fuel pump.  Is there anyother thing that could be
 >the problem...I am alittle mechanically inclined and a little familar

I fixed my car.  It was doing the same thing, just worse - you'd try
twenty times and it was hit or miss.  It was doing what you describe
for a few weeks and then - major problems.

Turns out the timing chain had slipped.  What happened was that it had
slipped several teeth and the computers were compensating, making it run
by tweaking everything.  It had been running like this for 30-40K miles
and showing no signs or error codes!  Evidently the computers are
able to do some pretty drastic tweaking, seamlessly compensating for
as much as 2-3 teeth out.

Then it slipped one more than it could compensate for - dead car,
no warning.

The 1980's era LeSabre/Park Ave - the timing chain is not built to last
more than 60-80K miles without suffering from some stretching.
Thankfully it won't break suddenly liek a bad belt might.

Part two is the gears/cogs that the chain goes around.  They
replaced the aluminum with teflon bushing ones in mine that
had worn the teeth down to nubs with steel ones.  The mechanic
said this also was common and just cost-cutting shortsightedness.
(evidently fixed with the 8000 Series II a few years later)

There is evidently a "button" (that's what he called it) that
holds the camshaft in proper tension as well that only lasts 50-60K
miles.  Mine was shot and the cam had about 1/4 inch play in it,
though no damage.

Also check the ignotion module - it's all surface-mount stuff
wedged into that plastic plate under the coil packs - a really
nasty design.

Re: 89 Buick Park Avenue Starting Problem
well the problem is fixed....i had heard from others that the timing chain
should be replaced no matter what...so i did that.  The chain was alittle loosed
and missing some teeth on the gears.  I also had to replace the fuel pump and
that seemed to solve all the problems.  The car runs fantastic now.. I expect
that this car should treat me well for some years.  I think that i got a good
deal on it..i paid $600 for the car and spent about another $300 in fixing it (a
mechanic that my dad knows gave me a good deal on repairing it)

Site Timeline