89 Caprice - Stumble during acceleration

I have an 89 Caprice Station Wagon, with 307 (olds) engine, and automatic trans. It runs well, except that it stumbles whenever I take off from a light or other stop. I have to always double pump the pedal or the engine dies.

My thought is that the accelerator pump rubber is worn and it needs to be replaced. I dont want to get into a complete carburetor rebuilding, since the engine runs well both at idle and when driving. Does anyone know if I need to tear the whole carb apart to replace the accelerator pump, or can I just remove a few screws without removing the whole carb and ripping it apart?

Thanks

Reply to
letterman

If it has a carb you should be able to remove the just the top of the carb to replace the accelerator pump. You should first verify that the pump is the problem. Given the age of the vehicle I would suggest a carb rebuild and install a new float as well.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
ROY BRAGG