89 Celebrity, hard start when cold

This car is hard starting at temperatures below -18 C. It will fire but stalls when the starter is released. After several tries it will usually run, if the battery hasn't died by that time. Once running everything is fine. A friend gave me a GM computer code reader which comes up with Code

  1. The book lists that code as: Diagnostic mode; no distributor signal to Electronic Control Module; System PASS. Doesn't seem like much help, does it? :-(

The mechanic at the shop where I take the company vehicle suggests water temperature sensor. I see two, one in the thermostat housing and one directly in the block next to it. I checked with a meter or removed either to test them. Which one is it? Should I go out and buy at $30 or should I be looking for the problem somewhere else?

I did install new plugs and wires, GM (originals) and that improved starting but it still isn't where it should be. I knew the wires etc. weren't in great condition as quite often there was some miss firing taking place at highway speeds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
shopper

Correction. I 'haven't' removed either temperature sensor yet. One should have a resistance value I expect, for the computer, the other should be a switch for the panel light, right? It's cold outside. :-)

"shopper" fine. A friend gave me a GM computer code reader which comes up with Code

Reply to
shopper

Hi...

Thought 12 sounded familiar, so I went and looked it up.

Mine says that 12 is nothing (no fault); just an indication that it's in diagnostic mode...

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

That's what I surmised too from the chart.

Reply to
shopper

Some follow-up.

I removed both sensors. On is a N/O contact until over heated so this one would be for the panel high temp light. Not part of my problem, however I discovered one terminal was broken off so that high temp light would never have warned danger. This is the one screwed directly into the block.

The other is a resistor type which measured about 32K ohms when cold, (-25 deg C). At room temperature, about 2.7 K ohms.

I'm guessing it's fine and not contributing to my problem. Where to from here?

"shopper"

Reply to
shopper

"shopper"

Reply to
Wendy & John

Which would be in the pump and of course that's in the gas tank. That's a fun job. :-(

Reply to
shopper

Hmmm. Interesting. I would NEVER have thought of looking there, but in cold weather anything like that would be aggravated. And that would be another fun job. :-(

Reply to
shopper

Regulator should be on the fuel rail.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

sounds to me like your fuel pressure regulator is shot.

Reply to
seeray28