89 Grand Am Dumping Fuel

I have an 89 Grand Am, It will start but seems to be running on 2 of the 4 cyclinders, idle is rough and if I run it for longer than 5 minutes the catalytic converter glows orange. I have changed the points, and the boots. It also smells like it is dumping way too much fuel. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
susanmo

Shep

If this is one of the quad engines it is a coil pack. Don't which part. I've just bought the assembly at a auto salvage place.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Reply to
Donutman

"" wrote: > I used to have an 89 Calais (quad 4) and I had this happen to > me > twice. It was a short in the coil housing both times ($80). > You want > to make sure that you change plugs before they get too far > eroded or > extra voltage will be required to fire them. This will > eventually > find a weak spot in the coil housing and short through it to > ground. > Since there are only two coils and each one goes to two spark > plugs > you loose two cylinders when this happens. You also dump raw > fuel > through the engine and it will burn in the catalytic converter > and > most probably overheat it. > > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:23:21 -0400, "susanmo" > wrote: > > >I have an 89 Grand Am, It will start but seems to > >be running on 2 of the 4 cyclinders, idle is rough > >and if I run it for longer than 5 minutes the catalytic > converter glows > >orange. I have changed the points, and the boots. It also > smells like it > >is dumping way too much fuel. Any help will be appreciated. > Thanks.

These two hit the nail right on the head. :)

Reply to
SnoMan