90 haft shaft

I have to change the left side haft shaft in my 1990 Z24 cavalier 3.1 5 speed. The outer cv joint is bad and it seems cheaper to change to whole axle. The service manual shows two special
tools to do the job. One is the axle puller and the other is a seal protector . Do I really need these or can I just pry it out and tap it back in? Thanks for any help .
den630 wrote:

You don't need those special tools to get the axle out of the transmission. A couple of pry bars in the correct location will pop it out, and then you just push it back into place.
Ian

I agree with Ian with a small tip. A long time ago, in one of my first FWD axle changes, the car would not move after replacement. When installing the new one don't be shy forcing it into the transmission, be sure it's fully inserted.
Steve
What is a symptom of a bad CV Joint? Does it make noise or does it break in half?
Amazingly my front end is quiet.
000,006 - Feb 4,1991 100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Typical symptom is "click click click click click" as you go around a turn.
What is a symptom of a bad CV Joint? Does it make noise or does it break in half?
Amazingly my front end is quiet.
000,006 - Feb 4,1991 100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Steve Mackie wrote:

Actually, I had both go within 20 minutes of eachother (rough day, but both gave right in front of auto shops ;) ). My front end didn't make noises while making normal turns, but if I persay, turned very slowly into a driveway, it sounded like a creaking noise (I thought it may have been ball joints). It did this once, then never again until they finally gave on that horrible day!
The funny thing is, there were no rips in the boot, but being an 88 cavalier with original cv's, the banded seal gave and was acting kinda of like a pump stretching on turns, then when straightened out, sucked in debris, water, salt, etc.
Try having someone turn the wheels full fledge both ways, and see if that end where the band is slides.
If I were close to home, I would've bought the parts and done it myself.... the mechanic on each time took no more than 10 minutes to pull the old one out and put the new one in. All this was done with a prybar, an impact gun (for the axle nut), and a little elbow grease. Then, I got shafted for 1 1/2 hrs labour... lol... oh well, those cv's will still be spinning while the body is falling off!
If you are getting the part from a local parts store they will probably rent or loan you the puller...

It may be cheaper, but the whole shaft has a better warranty, and is a quicker job overall. I personally do not want one good CV joint on a shaft with one with several thousand miles on it.
Just prybars as Ian mentioned

an impact wrench,balljoint separator, and 2 pry bars. Den