'91 Astro Flasher Troubles

1992 Astro, 4.3L

Customer Complaint: Signal lights stopped working. Replaced flasher, signal light worked for a couple of days. Then, they would flash sometimes, not at all, fast, slow, erratically, then quit all together. Obviously frying the flasher.

Anything common about this? Suggestions before tediously checking the entire circuit would be nice.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

The good news is you won't have to live with this vehicle much longer. Changing the flasher was probably bogus or tangential. Don't for get you need a ground to complete the circuit and rust is non-conductive.

Reply to
itsallgood

Reply to
JRL

Both sides or just one? If both sides a bad switch. If only one side bad socket or ground wire broken.

Reply to
Steve W.

I believe it was both sides, I'll ask later today.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Reply to
u c c

Actually, funny thing. See the guy isn't the brightest automotive mechanical type guy in the world. He described the problem to me, I told him to replace the flasher. He came back to me a few days later saying it worked for a little while then stopped again. I told him to bring it in and I'd take a look at it, he never did. Met him this morning, asked him what was up. He said he took it to another mechanic (gasp!) and he told him he replaced the wrong flasher. :) Replaced the hazard flasher and not the signal light flasher. All is fixed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

LOL!! Another case of, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Rick

PS - Not that I'm saying I wouldn't make the same silly mistake. And, if I did, I'd still laugh just as hard at myself.

Reply to
Rutger6559