'91 Astro Flasher Troubles

1992 Astro, 4.3L
Customer Complaint: Signal lights stopped working. Replaced flasher, signal light worked for a couple of days. Then, they would flash sometimes, not at all, fast, slow,
erratically, then quit all together. Obviously frying the flasher.
Anything common about this? Suggestions before tediously checking the entire circuit would be nice.
Steve
The good news is you won't have to live with this vehicle much longer. Changing the flasher was probably bogus or tangential. Don't for get you need a ground to complete the circuit and rust is non-conductive.
Sounds like the signal switch . On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:43:24 -0500, "Steve Mackie"

Both sides or just one? If both sides a bad switch. If only one side bad socket or ground wire broken.
--
Steve Williams

"JRL" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I believe it was both sides, I'll ask later today.

i'm looking at 91 flasher digaram. it looks like it is kinda simple system. if you have a multimeter, try to see the resistance to the ground throug pin 16 of the flasher. if the turn signal is not on, it should be large (over load-mega ohm). When you switch it to one side, it should be 200 ohm (? i;m not sure about this number). try the other side. if they are comparable then the system sounds ok. you can try to take the bulbs out and see it becomes overload. Steve Mackie wrote:

Actually, funny thing. See the guy isn't the brightest automotive mechanical type guy in the world. He described the problem to me, I told him to replace the flasher. He came back to me a few days later saying it worked for a little while then stopped again. I told him to bring it in and I'd take a look at it, he never did. Met him this morning, asked him what was up. He said he took it to another mechanic (gasp!) and he told him he replaced the wrong flasher. :) Replaced the hazard flasher and not the signal light flasher. All is fixed.
Steve

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:15:54 -0500, "Steve Mackie"

LOL!! Another case of, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
Rick
PS - Not that I'm saying I wouldn't make the same silly mistake. And, if I did, I'd still laugh just as hard at myself.