'91 Bonneville tranny slip

'91 Bonneville with "moon miles" on it (249,000) is exhibiting what SEEMS to be transmission slip under load, in overdrive only. IIRC the overdrive clutch pack slipping would likely result in the
eventual loss of third gear as well. Is this correct, or could the car simply be driven in regular drive instead overdrive to get the last remaining miles out of it?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Goforth) wrote in

Changed the ATF/filter? I think you can just drive in "D" and it'd be ok, as I believe the OD is a separate part of the tranny. Of course your MPG's will suffer a tad. Could even be the throttle positiong sensor? I could ask my dad -- he's a tranny rebuilder. He's been a mechanic since 1960 and has been specializing in auto trannies since the late 70's. Now he's 64 and about to retire. I was going to call him tomorrow and will ask him then. Unless someone else answers before then.
-
Yeah, if you think of it I'd like to know what he says about it...thanks.