'91 Bonnie Strut Question

This may sound like a stupid question to some, but I have no knowledge about the suspension system of a car. All I know is that when I turn the steering
wheel to the left or right, I hear what I can only describe as bumps coming from the front (obviously). I took at look, and it appears that the Spring stays in it's place, until you turn the wheel so far, then it jumps (bounces) into another position, thus causing the 'bump' or whatever the hell it is that I hear. I was told that my Strut Bearings are in need of replacement, what do all of you think?
--1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Sedan