91 buick Le Sabre A/C-Heater lights

How do you replace the two lights that (are supposed to) illuminate the Heater/AC control panel? There are no replacement bulb #'s listed in the owner's manual for them, and they seem to be permanently wired in! The socket twists out of the frame, but I can't get the bulb out of the socket -- acts like the bulb wires are crimped in.

Reply to
jhill

I'm not sure If I'm right but your bulbs might be similar to the tiny bulb that illuminates my headlight switch. If thats the case, then the bulbs are no longer made by GM, at least for my headlight switch light it isn't.

Had to find them in a junkyard.

The bulb and socket are one piece. It just twists and locks in place.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
jhill

If this is the dash control unit their are two types of bulbs. The ones with the blue covers that light the pushbuttons or the other ones with the stanchion mounts that twist into place and light the C-H slider and the Fan speed slider. They are available. The small ones with the blue covers are No 8097 Bi Pin 12 volt bulbs.(14 would be better but they are not made in the correct size)

larger ones can be replaced using Radio Shack No. 272-1141 BUT youneed to remove the old bulb from the holder and replace it with the newones. Also the wires need to be stripped back and the leads tinned soyou can bend them to fit. OR you can go to the S-yard and strip vehiclesfor them (I do this when I get bored)

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
jhill

If you mean the gray bulb stanchion that locks into the board, the wires are not crimped in, just wrapped around the bottom tabs. The units twist to the left to remove them like the old style bulb sockets. Then the bulb is just threaded down through the stanchion and the wires wrapped at the contact end. Take a look at

make sure you have the correct bulb. The black line on the last oneis how the wires wrap around. Steve Williams Near Cooperstown NY

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
jhill

That heater control picture is from the present day LeSabre. Its probably been around since 97 maybe.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~279, 495 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

89 Cavalier Z 24 convertible 78 Holiday 88 68 LeSabre convertible 73 Impala
Reply to
Harry Face

OOPS. Sorry about that I misread the year in your post. Your 91 has the peanut style bulbs then. There are replacements BUT it depends on which socket you have. If you have the ones that allow you to pull the bulb out, they take a #74 bulb If you have the ones that has the bulb glued in then you need to find either a replacement socket OR go through a bunch of work to clean out the one you have. Then you can use a 74 bulb in it. They are a PIA to deal with though. I have a few of the socketed ones left but they came from the salvage yard.

might have some that would work.

Reply to
Steve W.