91 buick riviera dies when it is hot

hello, this car belong to my friend. it has 3.8L engine. It dies when it gets hot sometimes. when he waits for 30-1 hour, it starts fine. before, it does not fire up. I asked him to check for fuel, and it gets fuel. My first guesss is malfuctioning ingition module but i'm not sure if this car has one or where it is?

can you tell me what might the problem.

TIA, ulas.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

Let us all chant together: CRANK SENSOR

My '91 Park was famous for it. It would run for an hour or so until it got hot, and then it would conk out. Wait about an hour for it to cool off, and then it would start again. The crank sensor stays good for the first eight years or so, or until it gets a little coolant spilled on it, then it gets intermittent.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Is crank sensor sitting just behind the crankshaft? Does this car has any ignition modula?

Thanks.

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

I no longer own my '91 Park, and I don't remember perfectly. It seems to me that it was below the water pump somewhere. As I recall, if the water pump leaked any coolant out of the weep hole, it went onto the crank sensor, and that is what contributed to a failure. You have to get the Helm manual if you want accurate details.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

It's just below and behind (rear of) the water pump. Also look at the wiring in this area! A shafed through wire will cause the same symptom - the engine temp cause aexpansion/contraction of surround materials.

Mike

intermittent.

Reply to
OCG

The crank sensor mounts behind the crank pulley. You may need a special tool to align the sensor properly. This car has an ignition module, but I'd save that for a second guess. It's much more expensive than the crank sensor. The ignition module is under the coils.

Reply to
hyundaitech