91 Cavaliar - External Coolan Loss

91 Cavalier with the 2.2 I4 and a 5-speed. 170,000km.

Just noticed this past weekend that I had coolant inside my engine bay. It looks like it is leaking from inbetween the head and the block (thinking head gasket but nothing in oil). The car does not overheat when I drive the

20 minutes to school everyday and back. The needle stays at a quarter everytime. The coolant is mostly at the front of the engine from the head down to the starter. I am also leaking in the front of the car where the radiator is. Hoses seem fine but couldn't check anything today since it was pouring.

Any suggestions or tips?? (Haynes book sucks in a case like this)

Again it is a 1991 Cavalier with a 2.2 I4.

Thanks Lukasz

Reply to
Lukasz A Kaczmarek

I would guess...and ONLY a guess that the radiator or hose has sprung a pinhole leak shooting the antifreeze on the motor. Since it does not over heat..I would rule out a head gasket..NOT saying that there is no chance of that, just would not be the first thing I tear into based on your description.

Reply to
Eightupman

Probably is the head gasket, that seems to be a common failure spot on the older 2.2s. It just leaks coolant to the outside of the block.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Start it up cold and watch for coolant being forced out as it warms up and pressure builds up. Make sure you have and keep plenty of coolant in the overflow tank...

Reply to
BillW

Re: 91 Cavaliar - External Coolan Loss Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Tue, Oct 28, 2003, 5:01am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospamshaw.ca (Robert=A0Hancock) Probably is the head gasket, that seems to be a common failure spot on the older 2.2s. It just leaks coolant to the outside of the block.

Reply to
Steve Cook

Check hose mount brackets

Reply to
Dan

Your headgasket is leaking. All the 2.2L motors made before the mid

90's blow headgaskets religiously. Usually it happens shortly after 100K miles... give or take a few. This is the RULE with these motors, not the exception... they will all blow eventually. The question is WHEN.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell