91 Cavalier - doesn't turn over

91 Cavalier with the 2.2 5 Speed.
I tried to start the car this morning and it started turning over and died within half-a-sec. Tried to start it again, and not only did it not turn
over but all the lights dimmed on the dash. My headlights won't turn on but my dome light is perfectly fine. When I insert the key into the ignition, there's sound that tells you the key is fine but as soon as I turn it to the ON position everything dims and the sound for the key goes all stupid.
Anybody have an idea of what it might be?? I though it could be the starter or maybe a bad ground??
Lukasz
It is your battery.

I forgot to mention that when I tried to jump start it still wouldn't turn over. So you say it could still be the battery??
Lukasz

died
turn
but
ignition,
the
starter
I tried my headlights again and they came on after about 15 seconds. I'm still thinking it is the starter.

on
Most likely a high resistance connection in the starting circuit. Could be the starter itself, but I'm betting that either the solenoid is bad, or the connection to it is corroded or just loose (I fixed the latter on a Cavalier of similar vintage). Fairly easy to get at from above too, just trace the heavy battery cable down the front of the engine to the starter. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!! Since you need to disconnect the battery to work on this cable, it'd be a good time to 'wire-brush' the connections there too. None of this should take much more than a half-hour.
Electrical stuff that works OK in warm weather just can't keep up once it gets colder and you need every amp-hr you can muster......

and
turn
it
stupid.
Thank You. It was the battery.

died
turn
but
ignition,
the
starter
My battery did die and thank you for the insights and my dad put in my car a battery from a 97 Safari 4.3L V6. Is that overkill for my car or will it do for about a month or two??
Lukasz

on