91' Cavalier won't stay running

Hi, Thanks for any help here. I know I should junk it but. It starts and will idle for 5 minutes or so before it stalls and then it won't start again, I can start it the next day but have not determined how long it has to sit before it will start . Or I can start it and then give it gas so the engine has some rpm's and it will run for may be a minute before it dies. I know it can be a lot of things but I'm looking for a starting place, its probably not worth taking to a mechanic. I do have a fuel filter but the lines going in are so rusty that I'm afraid to mess with it but will try if this could be a possible solution. Thanks for any info,

Kirk

Reply to
Kirk Frei

The Ignition Module is most likely bad. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

It takes two things to keep running, fuel and spark. Determine which one you are loosing. A timing light is a quick method to check for spark when it quits...

Reply to
Woody

Nah, don't junk it...those old Cavs run forever. Love mine.

I had a similar problem with my '90, though a bit more intermittent. It would run for a random amount of time, then just die. Let it sit a while, it would start right up and run a while longer. Turned out to be a sensor (crank position?). With labor, only around $100. The fuel filter could also be the problem...if the lines are that rusty it probably hasn't been changed in a loooooong time.

Reply to
Bobby The D