91 GMC JImmy with a temperamental digital dash.

Folks
Dunno if a Jimmy fits in the autos or the trucks section so I'll xpost to both.
A friend is looking at purchasing a 91 GMC Jimmy with, among a few
other fixable problems, is a temperamental digital dash. According to the owner it has a "short" in it.
I've been told to stay as far away from digital dashes as possible because they are a huge pain in the *ss to get working as you can never quite find the problem.
Tony
There was always a problem with the digital dashes, if you find a truck with one bad, usually the gas gauge will flash wrong, the temp wont work or sometimes the odometer will flash error. Good luck finding a good one at a salvage yard. I dont know what causes the problems, I think it is a design flaw, because I've never known someone to keep the same dash and fix it.

With the electrical, and other problems I have had with the two 98 Jimmy's I have I would not recommend anyone to buy one.

He can ship it away to get repaired. They'll just send him one that's been fixed and will keep his as a core. My mother had a '87 Cavalier Z24 about 15 years ago that went through digital dashes like they were going out of style. I think it's just Chevy's digital dashes. My uncle's '82 Chrysler Imperial's dash still works great. They're cool. I wish more cars had them. In the '80's, a lot of cars were available with digital dashes. I've never came across a car with a nonworking digital dash display, except my mom's Cavalier.
-
I had an 86 Z24 with the same problem your mom had.

Speaking of Chrysler Digital Dashes...
Years ago I was working at a muffler/brake shop and I had the occasion to drive a Chrysler le baron or sumsuch to check out a brake problem.
Well, there I was driving down the road, alone, with the radio off so I can listen to the car to see what's up with the brakes.
I made a turn and then I heard a "voice" say FUEL LOW!
That scared the livin' crap outta me 'cause I knew I was alone in the car. I almost ran the thing off the road before I could collect myself.
Yea, I know, the TALKING digital dash, but it was the first one I had experienced.
Go ahead and laugh, I did...
--

Dave in Columbus

That was the 'Voice Alert' system. It was a 21(?) point diagnostic monitoring system (oil pressure, temperature, voltage, fuel level, door ajar, etc.). Chrysler had it as optional in cars with non-digital dash as well. It was either standard or optional in the E Class, Lebaron, Laser, Daytona, Lancer, etc.. It's a pretty good idea to have a voice that tells you if your car's getting hot or if oil pressure is low. It might save an engine from becoming toast. Older drivers would especially benefit from it. This reminds me -- I want an '80's FWD turbo 2.2 pocket rocket! Omni Shelby GLH, Daytona Turbo Z, etc.. Or a Shelby turbo Charger. These cars had personality. I had an 1985 GLH Omni (Goes Like Heck) in the early '90's -- a non-turbo blue one with the swiss cheese wheels. Even the non turbo models were fast; had a HO engine and different gearing over stock.
http://webpages.charter.net/dragomni/glhturbo.html
-
The dodge 600s came optional with that feature.

The Shelby models were quick, no doubt I had one till someone liked it more than I did. But the 2.2 carb model wasn't that fast. Car and Driver did a shoot out, fastest production car in the late 80's or very early 90's. IROC Camero, Firebird, Mustang 5.0, Corvette(Chevy made them put a roll bar in it, and they locked 6th gear out) Buick V-6 Grand National, and the Dodge Shelby Omni, and a Turbo Lancer. Ford got their feelings hurt bad. Off course the Vette came in first, Ford dead last. Oh I almost forgot, the S-10 hot rod all wheel drive, blew the Vette away off the line, and only got beat by a car length in the drag test portion. As to the Voice alert, who could ever forget the constant nagging "A door is ajar, A door is ajar..." as you under the dash working on something. Whitelightning

The Omni GLH was fast compared to most other econoboxes of its era. Most economy cars of that era had 60 hp 1.5 liter engines, but the Omni GLH had a 2.2 HO, along with optional turbo. The non turbo car put out 110hp and the turbo version put out 145hp. That was a lot of power back then, esp. in a small car. The hp to weight ratio was why the GLH was able to hang with the Mustang/Firebird crowd. Then later versions had either Turbo 1 or Turbo II specs. And then a lot of people tweak these cars with bigger exhausts and upgrading to Turbo 1 or 2 specs. The highest stock hp of an Omni GLH was 175. The 2.2 was a great engine. Real solid.
-

Now are these coments specifically about the digital dash or mroe general electrical or other problems?
Tony

I had a '90 with the digital dash and had to have it repaired 3 times, once under warranty. IIRC, it was about $400 a pop at the dealer. I wouldn't reccommend one unless you can figure a way to convert to the non-digital dash.
Dave
I would think with a 12 volt system a poor system would effect all electrical devices. Low voltage or high spikes could cause anything to malfunction.