91 Grand Am Help

We just had the Plug Tower, coil housing and ingintion module replaced on our 91 Grand Am. Now it has a miss. Any ideas about what it could be? Did we not calibrate something? I had it done by a mechanic but he did
it out of his garage and now has no idea what is wrong, Some mechanic eh? Anyhow, all help is apporeciated
        Gary
--
www.compute-it.net

first why did you replace said items? second did he do a compression test third what about testing the ignition coils

dick wrote:

Took it to a Garage and they said these items were bad, wanted $800 to do it, so we had him do it and bought the parts
second did he do a compression test
No

"Gary Kendall" wrote

I have little/no sympathy for you. You didn't like the price at the garage, so you just bought the parts on "faith" and had your other mechanic buddy install it. Then you complain about the mechanic that installed it because he simply replaced parts that you bought? Basically, you are getting the diagnosis and repair that you have paid for.
Ian
Actually I DID pay for the Diagnosis. And they told me that they did not do much of that they would rather not do it (Midas)and I would be better off to take it elsewhere...but thank you for your help and concenr anyhow

--
www.compute-it.net

It's too late now, but given the scenario again, if a garage says they don't do a type of work, then they may not be the best ones to decide if you need that type of work. As for a Grand Am with a misfire, it's usually related to what you replaced, did it misfire before? GW
Gary Kendall wrote:

Well, not really, but maybe right before it stopped running, and I was told this stuff needed replaced. It is my sons car. I am stumped, and don't know what to do next

Geoff Welsh wrote:

--
www.compute-it.net

So it would not run, you replaced some ignition components and now it runs but with a misfire. Is that right?
These engines are troublesome to diagnose misfires on, because the secondary side of the ignition is inaccessible. That's why people generally replace everything like you have done. It's possible one of the spark plugs is fouled, or that the coil cover assembly just didn't seat right on the plugs. Misfires can also be caused by a sticky fuel injector.
What to do next, if you have no diagnostic equipment at the ready, is to take it to a decent garage.
GW