91 lumina

Has anyone ever heard of a knocking sensor or a knock sensor. I have never heard of one but the mechanic said it needs to be replaced and wants $170.00. What are the symptoms if this thing goes bad. My car stalls, low power, bad shifting, hard starting. The spark plugs have been changed, along with the wires, oxygen sensor, fuel injectors, oil, just about everything and nothing worked.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Knock Knock ? Who's There? Knock Sensor Knock Sensor Who? Knock Censorship....hahahahaha.

Knock Sensor's I've seen are near the lower edge of the block and are pretty easy to reach from below. If you can do the job yourself, great, save a few bucks & install one yourself, your mechanic already said you need it.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,688 91 Bonneville LE 304,619
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Shep

Re: 91 lumina

The knock sensor should be located on the side of the block but I'm not sure of the exact location on your vehicle. Ir is a 1-wire sensor that is relatively flat. The connector is a pinch type connector (just pinch the sides to release it). The sensor screws into the water jacket so you will avoid or lessen the mess by draining the cooling system prior to changing the sensor. Once you locate the sensor, the rest should be easy.

Rich B

"> The knock sensor should be located on the side of the block but I'm not

Or don't drain it and put a pan underneath it. Use your finger to block the flow until you can start threading the new one in. it's a little messy, but saves time and the trouble getting air out later and so on.

Reply to
Al Bundy