91 safaro transmision

Hello all,
I have a 91 safari 4.3L auto at more than 250kmiles. It sometimes engages rough and most of the time 2-3 shift is rought at about 20-30mph. Fluid is still pink (I changed it last year, and even the old
fluid was not that bad at the time)
I will move to california from illlinois and I will tow a uhaul trailer. (5' by 8', i donot know weight of the trailer). So I decided to take the car to a transmision repair shop, to hear if i have a serious problem. If they say the valve body is problem, I plan to get one from a working one and put it in.
Here is their diagnostic: detected a flare shift on 2-3 shift. Fluid is heavily varnished. tcc lock up come on too early. Rear differential ha excessive play, u joint is bad.
They even try to sell me cooler incase i tow a trailer. I thought I already have a cooler.
Do any of you have any idea what's goin on.
I'm thinking that my valve body is bad since I dont get any slipping or brownish fluid.
At this point I would take it to another shop just to confirm what they told you. With the trans acting up like that its hard to say what it is without doing more tests or even pulling it out and taking it apart. Yeah something could be messed up with the valve body or even dirt in there causing stuff to stick. I wouldn't waste money on trying to replace it at this time. Its always a great idea to have a external trans cooler on if your going to do any type of towing. About the rear end how did they check that? Does it make any noise at all?
no noise at all. they said something in it is loose. i will take it to another shop to hear what they will tell about it. thanks.