92, 3.1, pcv

Can someone tell me if you can easily access the pcv valve on a 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1 engine? It is my understanding that the pcv valve is located on the valve cover for the rear side of the engine. Do I need to rotate the engine forward to get at it? Do I need to remove the intake plenum? If yes on the latter question, will I need to replace a gasket for the plenum?

Why did gm put parts needing regular maintenance on the back side of the engine, like the oxygen sensor.

Thanks in advance. Rob

Reply to
RAS

Oxygen sensor needs to be in a place where both exhause pipes come together.

3.1 PCV is located underneath the air intake on the back of the engine. Use care, patients (sp), and a mirror :P
Reply to
clevere

Yes you can get to the PCV valve. It's a bit of a bugger but it can be done and you won't have to remove any engine parts.

Basically put your hand behind the fuel injector plenum and feel around for the PCV valve hose. Give it a gentle pull to get the hose off of the PCV valve, and then grab the top of the PCV valve and pull it out. Use a mirror if you need to.

I used to do it that way with an 89 Cavalier I had (2.8L V6). I would assume that the Cutlass has a bit more room between the engine and the firewall.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Reply to
clevere

Arrrgggg. I split the hose. I worked for about 45 minutes to get the pcv valve out of one end or the other. Came out of the manifold first. Have not been able to get it off the hose. Now the hose split. Thought at first "big problem, how am I going to get up under the plenum to connect a new hose?" Then I got to thinking and I'm going to see if I can find a connector and splice a new piece of hose onto the old.

I've been having a lot of problems with the car remaining at a high rpm when I remove my foot from the gas and then trying to flood down when I come to a complete stop. It runs really rough and has stalled a lot, but I've never got a code off of it until yesterday. It had 4 codes, two of which lead me to believe that it is the pcv valve.

22 - Throttle Position Sensor - voltage low 33 - MAP Sensor - high voltage, low vacuum indicated 35 - IDLE Speed Control Circuit (no idea what this is) 44 - O2 sensor - lean exhaust indicated

Then I got to thinking that when all of this started I opened my hood and a friend noticed that the dipstick was pushed out of its tube a bit. I am wondering if the pcv valve went bad throwing all these other sensors into chaos. I've changed the tps, iac, and the ecm. If I can get the hose and connector, I'll change the pcv today.

Reply to
RAS

My 2003 Malibu has the 3.1, and it seems there is even less space than my 89 had.

Reply to
Brad Clarke