92 buick lesabre

After driving 20 miles my car stop run infront of auto shop. I set for about 30 min befor they look at it and it start right.I had them test and nothing
came up wrong with it. so i drive home 20 miles again turn off the car and try to start it again would not. this car has 108,000 miles and is a good car. help me.... smirk
smirk wrote:

My first thought is that the crank sensor is going bad. Waiting 30 minutes may have been enough time to let the sensor cool down. Call them and pre-arrange it so that they can test it while the car is still hot.

What did it do when you tried to start it hot? -----Did the engine crank over? ( 'Crank' is not the same as 'start') If it is not cranking over, it can be a bad battery cable, a battery which is faulty, a security system failure, faulty ignition switch, a starter or solenoid which fails when hot, etc.
-----If so, did it try at all to start and run? If it does not even try to start, it can be ECM problems, sensor problems, fuel pressure problems, ignition problems, etc
As another poster has mentioned, the car has to be tested when it is giving troubles, otherwise it is almost impossible to find the fault.
I put my money on ignition coil. Isuggest if it does it next time, pour cold water on the ignition coil, and see if it helps. When pouring ice cold water, be careful not to splash it on the engine.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That engine does not have the type of ignition coil that you are picturing.

Most likely, this car has the 3800 with the DIS system. If so, would be odd for all three coils to fail at the same time. Odd, but not totally impossible, I guess.
It might not be so odd for the ignition control module to lie down when it gets hot.
Or any of a number of other things.

Yes, that car has a 3800 Series I engine. May have either the 3-coil Delco DIS system or the 1-piece Magnavox DIS (the entire system {module & coils(s)} is interchangeable as a unit, but the component parts cannot be interchanged between the 2 types).
If that car has the 1-piece Magnavox style coil unit, if you replace one coil you replace them all. On my old '87 Olds 98 (and on other 3.8/3800s I've worked on with the Magnavox coil) it is usually the center (2~5) coil that opens up (secondary side). Possibly heat related?
Having said all that, first thought on this car is NOT coil(s) - more likely crank sensor or ignition module. I am assuming that the issue is that the car cranks (turns over) but does not fire.
Here's a test you can do: unplug one of the fuel injector connectors and plug a #194 lamp into the harness connector. Then crank it over. If the light blinks, that tells you the crank sensor, the sensor processing circuits in the ignition module and ECM and the poweer feed to the injectors is working. Next, check and see if you have spark. You can check that by unplugging one of the plug wires at the spark plug end and plugging it into s spark tester (which is nothing more than a spark plug with a large clip on the metal shell to ground it.) See if you have spark. If you have fuel injector pulsing and spark, then we're looking at fuel feed.
Check out what I've laid out above and post your finding in the group and we'll go from there.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA