92 Chevy Beretta - Need help on how to put back Ignition

Hi guys-

I have a 92 Chevy Bretta with the 3.1 V6.

The problem I am having started when my son replaced the ignition, which was done by removing the starter...not there is one 'extra' wire where we don't know where it goes.

The Starter has 3 terminals, 'BATT', 'SWITCH', 'MOTOR'. The couple of wires coming out of the harness that need to be bolted on to the starter terminal...I have having trouble figuring out which wire goes where.

up to now, I seem to have gotten the Batt and the Ignition switch wires correctly connected, deciphering from the gauge of the wires (Batt wire is very thick, and the switch wire is very thin). I have 2 more wires from the harness that need to be bolted somewhere and only 1 more terminal available. I do not know which of the 2 wires left I should bolt and what to do with the one left over.

I tried different combinations, where I connected both of the 'left over' wire to the empty 'Motor' terminal, in this case the car didn't start at all. When I tried to put one of the left over wires to the Batt terminal and the other one left on the Motor terminal the car started, but the solenoid didn't switch off after it did, so the starter kept running, when I switched it the other way around, the car didn't start at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
elmo

What are the sizes of the lug holes in the terminals?

The purple, with the approximately #10 hole goes on the start position, and should be the "ONLY" wire on that lug.

If the solenoid has another approximately #10 stud, check if your original had one, or vice versa. If the new starter does not have one, and the old one did, then it's the wrong solenoid on the new starter.

all the wires with the approximately 1/2 inch hole should go onto the battery cable lug, with the battery cable. These are the wires that feed the electrical sub systems in the vehicle and are fusible links..

if there is in fact another wire with a #10 hole in the terminal, you need a two lugged solenoid. On older cars that would have supplied a direct twelve volts to the ignition coil to spark the rich mixture, with the choke closed. On the newer cars, it energizes the fuel pump relay as a back up.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King