92 Chevy Lumina - coolant leak and water vapor from AC vents

Hi, I have a 1992 Chevy Lumina, and starting about 3 weeks ago, I noticed water vapor coming from the vent at the base of my windshield, and then blowing out of my passenger side AC vents when I turned the AC
on. I also noticed that I wasn't dripping any water onto my driveway when parked, even after having the AC on full blast for 20 minutes.
I was able to live with this, because I don't have the time to go poking around under my car. But then, about a week and a half later, I started leaking coolant. And this isn't a small leak, it's almost a steady drip that can form a puddle within 30 seconds. So I started carrying around bottles of coolant and water in my trunk just in case. I noticed that the leak there wasn't coming from the radiator, or so it seemed, but further back, towards the back-middle of the engine.
I'm not very good with cars, although I learn fast and can read and understand the mechanics of it, if I had some direction. Someone mentioned it could be a cracked/damaged heater core. Does this sound feasible? If so, what's the best steps to take in determining the solution? I'd like to figure out before I try fixing it and/or having it fixed, so I don't get ripped off.

Well, if it seems to be coming from the near center of the engine, then I would not suspect a heater core. If it's coming from under the hood (rather than under the dash), then you should be able to poke around a bit and find the source. The vapor on the window would have originally have had me looking at the heater core, but the leak location does not sound consistent with that.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Someone suggested to me on another forum that bypassing the heater core by connecting the two heater hoses via a fitting would temporarily resolve the problem until I can get it repaired. I think I might try that this evening.

That might be a good way to bandaid this problem.
Some of you may remember the infamous Camaro heater hoses that connected to the core BEHIND the fenderwell. You could (1) bypass the heater, as Alex is considering, (2) take off the finder or well liner and fix it, or (3) cut a door in the fenderwell, put on the new hose, and then weld or solder the door shut again.
There is a special place in Hell for some GM engineers.
Mike Marlow wrote:

It could, if the heater core was leaking, sometimes the coolant ends up going out the a/c water drain hole.
Ian
So, I fixed my car. I disconnected the two heater hoses from behind the firewall and connected them with another hose, bypassing the heater core. Then I started it up, and noticed I was spraying coolant inside the engine, and then saw it was coming from a small leak on my water pump. So I poured a bottle of Bar's StopLeak in my radiator, and within 5 minutes, the leak was fixed. This weekend, I'm gonna have to change my belt (due to all the coolant and water that's been leaking on it) and the water pump, but that's only 50 bucks max.
Thanks, guys.
On 8 Jun 2006 07:52:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Watch the water pump. It is likely the bearing seal. You should replace the pump.

Good idea to replace the water pump. Flush the system when you're done as well. I'm no believer in Bar's or most of the other stop leak remedies. They can plug up a lot more than the leak in question. Make sure the heater is back in the loop when you flush it too. Start with a nice clean system and go from there.
Don't be surprised if you still have a problem though. I can't see a leak in the water pump resulting in moisture ladden air blowing out of the vents.