92 Chevy need wiring help!!

Hi guys-

I have a 92 Chevy Bretta with the 3.1 V6.

The problem I am having started when my son replaced the ignition, which was done by removing the starter...not there is one 'extra' wire where we don't know where it goes.

The Starter has 3 terminals, 'BATT', 'SWITCH', 'MOTOR'. The couple of wires coming out of the harness that need to be bolted on to the starter terminal...I have having trouble figuring out which wire goes where.

up to now, I seem to have gotten the Batt and the Ignition switch wires correctly connected, deciphering from the gauge of the wires (Batt wire is very thick, and the switch wire is very thin). I have 2 more wires from the harness that need to be bolted somewhere and only 1 more terminal available. I do not know which of the 2 wires left I should bolt and what to do with the one left over.

I tried different combinations, where I connected both of the 'left over' wire to the empty 'Motor' terminal, in this case the car didn't start at all. When I tried to put one of the left over wires to the Batt terminal and the other one left on the Motor terminal the car started, but the solenoid didn't switch off after it did, so the starter kept running, when I switched it the other way around, the car didn't start at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
elmo

The AutoZone website has wiring diagrams. Look for the repair link then follow the steps for yr/mk/model. Hope you can figure where the 'extra' wire lands.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

most gm starters use only 2 of the posts on the starter, one small wire with a small eyelet, usually purple or red goes on the small stud labeled s or switch all the rest should have larger eyelets and all go no the large stud with the battery cable. let me know if this helps

Reply to
hotwire2253