'92 Grand Prix Stalling Problem

My '92 Grand Prix (3.1 L) keeps stalling after i fixed a fuel line leak. Gas is getting to the injectors as I check at the valve near the injector and there is pressure and gas. I drove it for a few
kilometers without problems. It stalled on me and would not start again. Had it towed to a repair shop but the next morning the mechanic says it started fine. He put a reader on it while it idled for an hour and it ran fine. Then today, he took it for a ride and it stalled on him except he was able to get it to restart.
He's ruled out the fuel system as the source of the problem and thinks it's electrical... maybe the computer.
Anyone have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Has the fuel filter been changed? Other than that, I'd suggest you let the mechanic have his hand at this and give him a chance to fix it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Unfortunately, the mechanic had the car for two days and couldn't find the problem. He has ruled out the fuelling system and thinks it's an ignition problem though all checks out OK. He said without having the car in the shop while it won't start, it's next to impossible to properly diagnose the source of the problem.
He suspects the ignition module but can't rule out the ECM. But as of now, i have my car back but the problem may strike at anytime still.
i had this problem on mine,would start fine a few days,then just quit or stall and would not start for awhile,or for days it would start fine ,problem would just be so intermentent,wound up being the crank sensor.

robert -wanda fox wrote:

My mechanic insists it can't be the crank sensor as he says once they go bad, they just stop working and the car wouldn't start anymore.
He believes it's the ignition module or a ground. Getting a used one put in today. Will let you guys know of the outcome as it may be useful info for others in the future.

Your mechanic is wrong about the failure mode of crank sensors. They commonly fail in an intermittent manner.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
i agree,my crank sensor went through about 3 weeks of intermentent behavior,i too took it to the garage and they could find nothing wrong at the time because it wasn't acting up at the time,it so happened that one mechanic just happened to have the hood up when it failed and tapped it with a screwdriver to make it respond that we knew that was the problem.