92 Lumina Euro

I have one, with the 3.1L engine. 230K miles, engine and transmission have around 150K. It developed a problem, according to a mechanic, with a fuel injector, that caused it to run on 5 cylinders instead of 6, and with a
heavy fuel smell in the air. It seemed to me that it was flooded, and that was confirmed when it was in the shop.
The real question, is he told me that it would cost around $1600 for a new injector rack [the 'rail?'] to have it installed. This seems crazy to me, as I've seen single injectors for sale, and it would seem to me they are fairly easy to replace.
I'd love any input anyone has. Thanks.

I love it when mechanics quote repair jobs to your car that are worth more than the entire value of it :)
-GV
Michael H. wrote:

Well then, you better go get yourself one injector and install it. I mean, it's fairly easy to replace, right?
Many times, when you are dealing with an older vehicle, you end up running into all sorts of annoying problems when you attempt to simply replace "one" component like that. The tech has probably been burnt before by a customer wanting just one injector replaced. So he will suggest all of them or take it somewhere else.
Ian