'92 Roadmaster

What should I be looking for for defects, problems, etc.? Vuarra

Vuarra

Raise the hood.. an engine would be nice to have, open the doors and look inside, seats, steering wheel, dash, gauges would also be nice to have. Look around on the outside. Does it have tires and wheels? Doors and windows? These things I have suggested are the ones that just popped into my head right off the top...

( Sorry, sorry... I just couldn't resist such a clean straight line.... :^ )

Reply to
Bob D

Okay... I did take a test drive, but when I popped the hood, there was just an empty space.... is it like many Porches or the Toyota MR-2, with the engine in the boot?

I know :Þ ... I really botched that request up, didn't I?

Vuarra

Vuarra

Too numerous to list........... Transmission (4L60E), front suspension (idler arm, tie rod ends), power windows, water pump, plus the usual wear items that affect all cars!

Reply to
roadmaster

It is a fairly trouble-free vehicle. One annoying issue is rear power windows don't always go up. There is a kit to fix it. A 12 year old car will have minor electrical problems.

But 5.7/5.0 and 4L60 tranny are pretty reliable.

Ask when the last tine up was done. If the car has over 100K, and no tune up, you might have to perform a tune up.

Reply to
Anonymous Sender

Thanx.... I'm not majorly worried about electrical problems (except the environmental controls.... GM's prolly out of those, right :), just for major mechanicals in the next little while.

I'll be pulling a spark plug (now that I think about it, I should do that right in front of Buddy) to check the tune up situation. Vital fluids will be changed, and I'll check the windows. Vuarra

Vuarra

And get ready for those wicked gas bills!! hehe.

I would also check to see when the last time the tranny was serviced? Say flushed and filled with a new filter? Was the car used for towing? Trailer hitch installed? Is there a HD cooler on the car for this purpose?

My mothers ol' '91 Roadmaster experienced tranny failure in the 200

000Km range. Something to check. Also ABS...sigh...GM never did ABS right, about $1000 for the modulator as I last recall.

Driver door power accessory switches intermittent. Check for reliable operation.

Gas charged strut supports for both hood and rear hatch glass will need replacing soon if they haven't been already.

2nd row seatback latch assembely. Check to make sure it locks in place.

And then there's the wonderful cliamate system...the digital one sucks. Think its been reprogrammed about 5 times in the past 2 years.

That's about all I can think of for now. Good solid car though, large roomy, rides like a caddy, lots of power.

Enjoy

S. Williams

Reply to
Shane Williams