92 Roadmaster Starting troubles.

1992 Roadmaster, changed alternator and battery. Tried starting it, just got a single click each time. Lights come on very bright, volt meter shows just over 12V. Any suggestions? Obviously, I'll be turning the engine to verify that it hasn't seized, and see if I can get the flywheel to get "unstuck" from the starter pinion. Could it be anything other than the starter?

Vuarra, from another computer.

Reply to
Richard Kralick

I have a 92 Caprice which is very similar to Roadmaster. If lights don't dim when you turn the key that means you are not drawing any current to turn the engine. IOW if the engine were seized you would see everything go dim as the starter motor tried to crank the sieged motor. Sounds like a stuck solenoid, bad contact or a dead spot on the armature of the motor. Try tapping on the starter motor with a rubber mallet while someone else turns the key. The idea is to jar it past the dead spot. Make certain to stay clear of the fan etc!!! Last thing you need is for it to start and take off a hand!

BTW this little trick works for electric in tank fuel pumps as well.

Most times on this car it is either the solenoid or the motor itself. Both come as a kit so best to replace the entire unit unless you want to save a few bucks and go for the solenoid.

Good luck...

Reply to
lisa_langford

Could also be a bad cable or dirty connection to the starter motor.

ll

Reply to
lisa_langford

Their is a + cable that runs from the battery post to the starter motor. Most likely it has worked loose at the battery when you swapped the new one in.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Bah.... tried turning the central nut of the dampener, and while I tightened that nut / bolt, the engine didn't move. The lights did dim, by quite a bit, when I did engage the starter. Looking at a new (rebuilt) engine :( On that front, ot looks like $1300, assuming I can actually get on the waiting list.

Vuarra

Reply to
Vuarra

Sorry to hear :(

These cars, more the Caprice though, are fast becoming popular with the young kids. If the body is in good shape and everything else works, you might want to consider a crate engine from GM. Get the tranny done at the same time and for less than 5k you have yourself a brand new car.

Currently I have almost 325k miles on my 92 Caprice and I am still on original tranny and engine. There is a reason why they use these beasts for NYC taxis!

Good Luck!

Reply to
lisa_langford

Yeah, they're unbreakable, unless you have the 4L60E auto. tranny! Now there's a weak point!

Reply to
weatababy,eetsaboy