92 s-10 2.8 valve question

I recently replaced the intake gasket as well as the distributor o- ring. I got the top end back together and adjusted the valves as specified by the manual that i have. my problem is that the truck idles incredibly high after setting the timing to 10 degrees before TDC and the truck has absolutley no power. I drove it a mile and it barely got me home. I am hoping that i didnt overtighten the valves, but i think it is looking like i did just that. I dont believe i have a vaccum leak creating high idle, but that would cause my lack of power anyway. would it? i also read from some fellow s10 owners that you need to unhook a bypass wire from the ECM when you set timing. Is this true? can you steer me in the right direction?

Reply to
BULA

I'm not positive, but I'd think these are hydraulic & you should adjust valves w/engine at oper. temp. & idling. Back off each one until it starts clacking, then slowly tighten until that one's clacking barely stops the noise. This is zero lash. Tighten it an additional (whatever manual specifies--often 1/4 turn) amount, and go on to next one. Good idea to repeat procedure once again to obtain the "fine" tune. s

Reply to
sdlomi2