93 Buick LeSabre randomly dies - all electrical is gone

Hello, My son has a 93 Buick LeSabre (front wheel drive V6) with about 90k on it. Sometimes it just totally dies and there is nothing, no lights, radio, anything. After a while it can be restarted but the radio has
lost its memory, etc.
We checked the battery cables and they are clean and tight. What else could cause a total electrical interuption like this? It seems like this is more common soon after the car has been started cold. It has that chip in the key thing, but it does this with either of the 2 keys so I don't think it is the ignition key.
Thanks, Libby
Grounds and battery connections, first then power to the ugn switch nunmer 2. Do you mean headlites or dash lites, if headlites got to be a bad main 12v connection or ground.

-
Even the headlights go off. We cannot find a ground cable at all from engine to chassis.Where should I look on a front wheel drive GM to find it?
have a shop the crank position sensor (sometimes called cam sensor) when these go bad they cause similar symptoms, actually they cause all kinds of weird things to happen. also check to see if the ground strap from the engine to either a fender or firewall has not rotted off.
Snow...

Could the cam sensor cause the whole car to go dead, even down to the headlights?
No connection with the problem, keep looking for cable connections bad, confirm good positive and negative continuity especially under load.

-
No

Check your cables from the alternator and check the main engine block grounds, after you have checked everything a couple times and if you can't find the problem take a look at the sensors, I had the exact same issues on a non-gm vehicle, the dealer checked the wiring for bad connections, check all major items (battery, cables, fuel pump etc.) and found nothing. It was suggested that they change a crank position sensor and that was the fix. So to answer your question, yes a sensor could cause this problem, but FIRST check the wiring a couple times and if possible plug a code reader into the car, see if there are any codes. If you use a good reader it will be able to give real-time events while your driving. A passenger can look at this next time the car dies.
Snow...

On 8 Apr 2006 09:18:36 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

The next time this happens flex the battery cables along their entire length then retry. Cables can develop corrosion internally, under the insulation, causing the vehicle to exhibit the symptoms you describe. Look for any "swelled up" areas along the cables. As others have noted, check all connections and all grounds.