94 3/4 ton 4x4 rear brake problem

Was having some brake issues over the weekend. Pulled the rear drums(huge) off and found the wheel cylinder to be leaking. I also noticed that one of the pins that goes into the end of the cylinder was
missing. These are the pins that push out of the cylinder. After looking at the brake pads, you can tell there wasn't one of there when it was replaced. Dont know when or where.
Does anyone know where i can get one of these? I have it apart and would like to get it fixed correctly. The parts store(auto zone) said that was a dealer item only since it never needs replaced. Any help would be great on this.
It is the larger braking system as well. I think its like over 8000 lbs.
thanks! Ronnie Smith
If the brake cylinders are leaking. Replace. If the back has drums then you have shoes not pads.

sorry, I left the part out that i did replace the wheel cylinder already. That is not my problem. The problem is that one of the parts that stick out of the wheel cylinder that actually push the shoes out is missing. When i pulled the drum off, one of them was missing and looks to have never been put back in from the last brake job. You can tell by looking at the shoe, that one side has never had this piece touching the shoe compared to the other. I didn't drop it, and it did not fall out with the disassembly process either. This was done before i got the truck. I am needing to find one of these pieces and im not having much luck.
thanks!
JRL wrote:

Sorry Ron, but you're not making any sense. If you replaced the wheel cylinder then you would have installed a complete unit. You say that the part was lost before you got the truck, but then you say you replaced the wheel cylinder. Both statements can't be true. The plunger that contacts the brake shoe is part of the wheel cylinder. If you replace the wheel cylinder you would have all of the parts.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-

Maybe we're talking about two different things. I've never seen an external pin for a wheel cylinder. I was referring to the slug that is part of the wheel cylinder which the top of the shoe rests against and which pushes against the shoe. This part is a part of the wheel cylinder.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I know the pins you are talking about, and you're right, they don't come with the new wheel cylinders. As mentioned, Napa should be able to get them, or the dealership, for such a small item, I'd just hit the dealership, they shouldn't be too expensive. I had the same trouble with my rear drums on my 88 3/4 ton. Mine has the smaller brakes, but the trouble with them is that they don't self adjust, so next brake job I do on it, I'm swapping to discs from http://www.tsmmfg.com/ Kits are reasonably priced and for being able to get rid of the hassle of dealing with drums, I'm sold on them. Good luck on yours.
Gus
Thanks for all the reply's. I hope we are all on the same page now. We are talking about the pins or whatever you want to call them that stick out both sides of the cyclinder that push that pads. These do not come with the cylinder. I have checked at 3 different spots now. The guy at napa says he can't get them, so i will be contacting our local dealer this afternoon about replacements.
thanks again! Ronnie Smith
grockswo wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

I'm not familiar with the exact application the OP is working on, but at least older MoPars and Studebakers used a pin that was simply retained by the wheel cylinder boot that actuates the shoes. The pistons are just that, the inside is flat and the outside is cup-shaped to mate with the pin which has a rounded end. When you buy new wheel cylinders for those apps. they come without the pins, you transfer them over from the old wheel cylinder.
Unfortunately, I can't find the part either searching napaonline or Wagner's online catalog, so you might have a trip to the dealer in your future.
If I may make a suggestion, it might not be a bad idea to replace both rear wheel cylinders; if that pin was missing that piston should have blown out of the wheel cylinder a long time ago; the fact that it was only leaking suggests that it was also seized, and the other side may not be in much better shape.
nate