94 buick regal

My service engine soon light came on a couple of months ago and I ignored it because it was not on after restarting the car. It came back on a few more times recently and this last time the car cut off after stopping at a red light. It restarted but continued to cut off. Can you help me out?

Reply to
Suge

Find out why the check engine light is on and answers will come.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I put a tester/scanner on it. It's the computer. It's going bad i think. What is the correct name(parts name) for the computer.

Reply to
Suge

It's quite rare for the PCM to fail. We can help you determine what the problem is if you post the DTCs you've retrieved from the PCM.

If you don't let us help you and you decide to go out and spend $xxx.xx on a new/used/referbished PCM, then take the time to carefully replace it and it doesn't fix the problem, don't come crying here. ;)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

PCM or ECM, perhaps. If you're sure it's the computer you can get one from a junkyard, but you'll have to pay an hour's labor at the dealer for reprogramming.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

It is PCM, and that particular vehicle does not require reprogramming after replacing the PCM, a simple EPROM swap will suffice.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

You might find this link of general interest

<HLS

Here is another link of general terminology

There have been a number of different control modules in the past, at least for some models. I have a Reatta that has 4-5 different types.

The previous link I sent was more or less oriented toward the Taurus, I think, but is still useful as far as nomenclature of systems

Reply to
<HLS