94 buick regal

My service engine soon light came on a couple of months ago and I ignored it because it was not on after restarting the car. It came back on a few more times recently and this last time the car cut off after stopping at a
red light. It restarted but continued to cut off. Can you help me out?
Find out why the check engine light is on and answers will come.

I put a tester/scanner on it. It's the computer. It's going bad i think. What is the correct name(parts name) for the computer.
It's quite rare for the PCM to fail. We can help you determine what the problem is if you post the DTCs you've retrieved from the PCM.
If you don't let us help you and you decide to go out and spend $xxx.xx on a new/used/referbished PCM, then take the time to carefully replace it and it doesn't fix the problem, don't come crying here. ;)
Steve

PCM or ECM, perhaps. If you're sure it's the computer you can get one from a junkyard, but you'll have to pay an hour's labor at the dealer for reprogramming.
-GV

It is PCM, and that particular vehicle does not require reprogramming after replacing the PCM, a simple EPROM swap will suffice.
Steve

You might find this link of general interest
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/elecengsensor.html

Here is another link of general terminology http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/blterms-008.htm
There have been a number of different control modules in the past, at least for some models. I have a Reatta that has 4-5 different types.
The previous link I sent was more or less oriented toward the Taurus, I think, but is still useful as far as nomenclature of systems