94 Chevy Caprice Classic LS 350 LT1 cap and rotor

I recently had a vibration at idle and a hesitation while accelerating in my 94 caprice. There are only 75000 miles on an LT1 and plugs and wires had been replaced recently. A diagnostics scope was performed
and concluded that the wires were faulty and the gas was to rich from lack of spark. I replaced the distibutor cap and rotor which to my knowledge had never been done because I didnt know it had one because it is behind the electric water pump / serpentine system / harmonic balancer pulley and mass air flow pump. I replaced the plugs with AC delco platinum and AC delco wires ( this was obviously not cheap) when I put the rotor and distibutor back together i triple checked to make sure everything was seated correctly ( the thin metal disc that spins under the rotor and is read by an electronic eye, I assume for computer controlled timing) . wires all snapped into place tightly and plugs are routed properly to cap. yet I attempted to start and the motor ran choppy for a minute or two then stalled and wont start again. Is there a certain position that metal disc needs to be facing when put back together or what could be the problem? This took a full day to tear down and rebuild Id hate to do it all over if the solution is something simple.