94 Cutlass Intake Manifold Gasket Repaired, Now a Knock

My 3.1L, 120K miles, intake manifold failed and lots of coolant in oil. Had it fixed (knowing there could be more problems) and sure enough after only a couple of hundred miles (or less) there's a pretty good knock now. Suspect a main bushing?

Any sense in having that fixed or is it likely just good money down the drain?

Absolutely love the car!

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

It could be a main but when you hear a knock that is in time with one cylinder that's usually a rod bearing. None the less you will probably need a crank, bearings and maybe a rod(s). If the car's worth it to you then it's not money down the drain. Depends on if you can do the work your self or if you pay someone. Also you probably would be better of replacing the motor with a rebuilt unit or a good used motor of low miles and a warranty.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I meant rod bearing, not crank. Sorry.

Regarding replacing with used engine, that's where we're split - I'd like to try and my wife doesn't. A local mechanic who I trust gave me the name of someone he's sent a "100 people" to and no complaints. Hmmm. Sounds against the odds to me. Anyway, at least there's someone with some experience to draw on.

Bought a new 04 Grand Prix and not sure which I like better - the 94 Cutlass or the GP.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave