94 Jimmy ROUGH idle

Just recently my Jimmy's "Service Engine Soon" light came on and it started to idle very roughly... I can drive it ok at higher throttle (highway speeds), but idling it threatens to die.
When turning on the ignition, I no longer hear the fuel pump spin up. Can it run if the fuel pump is dead? O2 sensor?
I cannot afford the $79 to have the local shop diagnose it...
thanks steve
See my site below or www.troublecodes.net for instructions on retrieving trouble codes - one should be stored if the SES light came on.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada