94 LeSabre, codes 361 & 321

My 94 LeSabre once every week, or every two weeks, stalls. After 10 or 15 minutes it starts again and works normaly until the next time. At the time
it guives the engine codes 361 and 321, but when working normal has no codes present. I don't think is the ECM because I substituted it with another from my other buick and it did the same think. Anyone know anything about this?
Thank you

How did you get these codes?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You got a 361 and 321 on an OBD-I system?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
It's an Actron CP 9110 ScanTool. I get 361 Ignition System Problem. Elec. Spark Timing EST Not Toggling and 321 Ign. System Problem 18x Interrupts lost Signal.

this is a '94 LeSabre as the Subject line indicates... right?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Yes

Argh! In the back of my mind was this nagging suspicion that this might be a cross-over car. That explains the three digit codes.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Mike,
Yep - those codes are valid. A number of 1994 and 1995 GM engines, including the VIN Code "L" 3.8L V-6 have a kinda bastardized system many mechanics refer to as "OBD 1.5". It is a combination of an OBD I electrical interface (the old 12-pin ALDL connector) but the PCM outputs OBD II data (but only a subset - no Readyness Indicators, for instance).
A number of scan tools (the Innovs come to mind) cannot cope with these systems but the newer Actron, AutoXRay and OTC scanners will work.
I myself have such a car - a 1994 Buick Regal.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Question: 2002 Buick Park Avenue mileage: 44,000. I have an intermittent problem that does not seem associated to temperature, environment, and is most visible at highway speeds but also happens at idle occasionally. The engine ignition seems to die and the car hesitates and bucks. This can be seen in the tachometer, which briefly starts falling to zero. Also, when the problem occurs, the ammeter drops down and slowly returns. After the problem occurs, the MIL will illuminate the next time the car is started but can be turned off by killing the engine and restarting it. With an Actron scan tool, I found 2 codes in the system. They are 321 and 361. The scanner said that 321 is "18x interrupts/ignition" and 361 is "EST not toggling". Studying the wiring diagram shows that an EST signal goes into the ignition module and that the EST signal uses the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor as reference signals. I replaced the crankshaft sensor and then the ignition module but the problem is still there. Any help would be appreciated
Answer: You have done a very thorough job of troubleshooting. We suspect from what you described that the camshaft sensor is the culprit and replacing it should fix your problem.

[...]
I'd scope that signal first.